By leveraging libpurple (which is already behind many popular clients), Minbif is guaranteed to alway provide an up-to-date support of a large number of IM networks (and it supports plugins!). Minbif also maps everything to pure IRC commands, giving it an intuitive, natural feeling. Joining a conversation is a simple /join, banning an user is a real IRC ban, sending files by a simple DCC, etc.
It is very easy to setup, as it does not require any non-standard authentication and just uses the server password feature of IRC clients, nor the configuration of an
Minbif is an IRC gateway to IM networks which provides the following features:
- Minbif uses a library which abstracts all IM calls, and has several plugins to support more than 15 IM protocols (IRC included!);
- Two modes: inetd and daemon fork;
- Only IRC commands are used to control Minbif;
- IM Certificates check;
- Buddies are IRC users;
- Each account is associated to a status channel, where all connected buddies are;
- Add and remove buddies from list with /INVITE and /KICK commands;
- Blocked users are bans on the account's status channel;
- Display when a buddy is typing a message;
- Can chat with someone who is not in your buddy list;
- You can see buddies' icons (with libcaca) or download them;
- DCC SEND an image to set your icon on IM networks;
- Display extended information about buddies with /WII command;
- Status management;
- Can send and receive files, which are sent or received to/from your IRC client with DCC SEND;
- Conversation channels are supported;
- Auto-rejoin conversation channels at connection;
- Display list of channels on an IM account with /LIST;
- irssi and weechat scripts to increase your user experience of minbif;
- CACAcam (webcam in ascii art).
- CoinCoin plugin for libpurple.
- PAM support
- TLS support with certificate auth
- Bidirectional color and formatting translation. Works with figlet, and with toilet too!
You can send an email to email@example.com.
Join #minbif on the Freenode IRC network.
- (fr) “Toutes vos messageries instantanées dans votre client IRC : Irssi et Minbif” in GNU/Linux Magazine France — Carl Chenet, Hors-série N°46 (2010)
- (fr) Minbif — An IRC gateway to the modern world at the Libre Software Meeting (July, 2010)